The Whitehouse is Free Wheel North’s second centre and is Maryhill’s oldest building.
The Whitehouse is on the banks of the Forth and Clyde Canal, where since 1800 it has served as a lock-keeper’s home, a pub, a post-office and a dookit for keeping pigeons. Free Wheel North acquired the lease in 2014 and developed the building as a community hub, café and bike shop with regular community bike rides for local people. The centre hosts talks and workshops enabling local people to get involved in the regeneration of Maryhill. Plans for The Whitehouse involve creating a centre for social justice and public space, campaigning for an active Glasgow where anybody can walk, wheel or cycle.